Monday, August 8, 2011

be a mentor!

I remember years ago being overwhelmed at the thought of meeting all of my children's needs, not just the natural day to to day needs and demands, but the emotional and spiritual connection that they need at every chapter of their lives.  I wondered how I could be sensitive and understanding to each of their perceptions, questions and views of their ever-expanding world and horizons.

You know when you just "clique" with someones personality? How you may seem to connect with a person and their ideas and views and dreams and responses and humor? It feels so great to "gel" with another person, right? Well, I wanted to find that same kind of connection with each of my children, but at times I just don't get them completely, I can fill in some blanks to their questions and be a guide to the capacity that God has allowed me to for them, but there are some spots I am not meant to cover. I have to trust that there will be the right people in place at the right times as my kids grow. Because I may not be able to meet every need in my child's life does not mean I am inadequate or need to question my love and patience for my child, God has given us all a full measure! We are just not meant to be their only mentors in life. W are created to function, grow and develop as a whole body full of unique people with different gifting s and insight; we are crucial pieces along the way for each other even when we are unaware our part. 1 Corinthians 12

When I think about my younger years I realize that it was not just my mother and father that spoke into my life or even connected with me. It was a teacher, a friends parent, a coach. There were crucial, pivotal moments that God used, even the most random people in my life to plant life producing seeds that I am now enjoying the fruit of. I am so grateful for the time my own mother and father took in guiding, encouraging and speaking into my life but I know so much of who I am today is a result of other mentors and adults who took time to notice me and invest wisdom and spark encouragement in my life. I have had the privilege of being able to thank some of these individuals.  

I think of each of these people in my life and I am reminded that if I am unable or unaware of a need my child may have as they grow, God will bring others into the picture to fill in a piece, spark a part of their destiny and instill wisdom that will take them through every season. I am confident of this and can rest in that Grace.

When God showed me how He would bring other people into each of my children's lives throughout every phase of their growth and maturity, He also showed me how He has been bringing other peoples children into my life, highlighting and giving me opportunity to speak life into them and encourage and love them.

I began to be motivated to lavish, love and speak into every child, teenager and even young adult I am around in the same way I would like to see another adults invest and love on my children.  I know sowing and reaping applies in this in a huge way. I am already in awe at the people God is surrounding my children with, I see it fulfill and spark so much in their character and inspire their being in a way I just could not. It is so cool! I hope I can do the same for another!

I know it can seem overwhelming to spend yourself on other children, feeling like your adoration is only meant for your own, but to take the time and notice Gods beauty and purpose in an individual is so fulfilling and never in vein. Look at every person in the same way you would want another to notice your young child, teenager or way-ward young adult.  Take time to seek them out, call out a talent, be patient and sensitive to a need no one may see.

I love my kids, and think the world about them, they will always come first in my priorities but I am finding and ever-increasing love for other peoples children as well and I have to be unafraid to spend  more of my energy and invest the love I have been given on another because I know God calls us to meet one anthers needs.

Mentor-ship is such a lost art now a days. Young people need to be discipled, mentored, encouraged! Let us always be in a place to give, water, invest and nourish the next generation with what the Lord has given us. Think about the kids that surround your life and lavish them with every opportunity you get!

2 Corinthians 5:14
For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died.


1 Peter 1:22
Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for your brothers, love one another deeply, from the heart.


Colossians 3:16
Let the message about Christ, in all its richness, fill your lives. Teach and counsel each other with all the wisdom he gives. Sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs to God with thankful hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment